When I upgraded from Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra) to 10.13 (High Sierra) suddenly my MySQL Server just broke down and it was unrepairable, so I’m going to try to install it with brew, but in order to do that I needed to uninstall the current one and this is a clean way to do it
Just run the following commands
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/mysql
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/mysql*
sudo rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM
sudo rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/My*
rm -rf ~/Library/PreferencePanes/My*
sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/mysql*
sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/MySQL*
sudo rm -rf /private/var/db/receipts/*mysql*
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.oracle.oss.mysql.mysqld.plist
I had a problem with a configuration file, so it’s better to remove it
sudo rm /etc/my.cnf
This is one of those errors that are pretty much undocumented and can lead to a huge waste of time trying to figure it out why, so I’m going to tell you how I fix it and hope that helps you too.
I was trying to add binary data into the database using the save() method on the Model and it keep failing time after time saying:
InvalidArgumentException: Malformed UTF-8 characters, possibly incorrectly encoded in ../vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Http/JsonResponse.php
To fix this on Laravel you just need to make sure that you are inserting correctly the information, after a while I realize that I was inserting some truncated data on the table and the exception thrown by Eloquent was catched by the exception handler, and it contained some binary data that was being responded afterwards.
So this is just an error generated because the system was trying to report another previous error, now after the stress it’s gone, it’s kind of funny.
There is no need to say that this is a security risk and a performance killer, but sometimes in debug I need to checkout every single query made to the server, so in order to do this, at least on MySQL 5.7.17 it can be enabled on runtime.